1.6K views

Update by user Oct 21, 2011

I would just like to add some helpful information to anyone looking for help with a home modification.

You do NOT need an attorney.

If you call 1-800-HOPE-NOW, they will help you and it will cost you nothing - 0 -zilch. NO MONEY.

Also I recommend that anyone looking for aid with a home modification read the FTC MARS Ruling regarding what mortgage companies, lawyers and so forth can and cannot do legally.Knowledge is power!

Original review posted by user Sep 19, 2011

We fired Caplaw, P.A.because they solicited us for a Home Modification in our home state, where they are not licensed.

They also promised us a 90% chance we'd be approved for the modification which is a violation of the MARS rules.

Last week I filed a complaint at Pissed Consumer about them but my complaint was removed.

Today we received a letter from Caplaw P.A.wanting us to sign it stating that we "agree not to initiate any complaint or action against us [them], effective immediately." Needless to say we will not sign it and will file many complaints.

Had an Experience with Caplaw?

Comments

There is no one answering their phones at the offices of James Caplan pc.Now that I have done everything i am suppose to do and paid Caplaw 3000.00, they are no where to be found.

I am furious. I started this in 4/2011 and now in 7/2012 I receive a letter from B of A stating they are foreclosing!

Hey, how about getting back with me Caplaw!!!palmer.chad@rocketmail.com

they did this to me as well am looking for any advise on how to proceed to get my money refunded....

Not done my homework Jason?I DID my homework.

That is why they didn't get a cent from me. That is why I know they've broken multiple laws. That is why I know WHICH laws they've broken. I've made phone calls to multiple federal and state agencies inquiring about these laws and I have those laws in print.

That is why I filed complaints against them to my state Attorney General, the FTC, the Florida and Washington state Bar Associations and the Better Business Bureau. I've done my homework Jason.

..maybe you should take your own advice and do YOUR homework.

Deborah - The "hold harmless" agreement, which you call it, was sent to us WEEKS after we terminated any business with them and AFTER I filed complaints against them with the FTC.

Mount Zion, Illinois, United States #360619

I kind of agree with Jason.If you there was a chance that it wouldn't go through, then you shouldn't be too shocked, and almost everyone uses those hold harmless agreements to release liability.

In fact, I had to fill one out for Comcast doing work in my home.I am pretty sure it's normal.

Mount Zion, Illinois, United States #360618

I don't mean to get technical, but you said there was a 90% chance your matter would be resolved, SO THERE WAS A CHANCE IT WOULDN'T RIGHT?Why are you upset at the results?

If they told you that it was a 100% guarantee, then I would understand. The only guarantees in life are death and taxes... Understand that and you won't be so shocked at the results.

I am not sure how they practiced law illegally either.You think you would of done your homework to swee if they were a law firm that was eligible to practice law.

Y.its.me

I do apologize that the letter is upside down.